Howeler + Yoon

June 08, 2008



Even though I grew up not far from Boston, I really don't know that much about the city's architecture... having studied and work entirely outside the Boston area... Most of what I know about the local vernacular, has to do with the historic architecture, rather than modern. So, its always exciting to me to learn about young and modern firms in the area...
.
I quite like all of these projects by Howeler + Yoon. Above is a landscape design - Switch - in which new and old techonologies, and soft and hard textures are braided together to created an integrated and interactive landscape. I really like the lit pavers... reminds me of the glass cobblestone project by 2b Architectes... mostly I like the attention paid to the bricks. Much of my memories of Boston are colored by the bricks of the city, so its nice to see a design that integrates this historic feature, with a thouroughly modern design.
.

Architects are a bit obsessed by the mobius strip... this dress, the mobius dress, is just another example of using the strip as a design solution. The series of photographs makes the dress interesting, probably more interesting than it would be on its own...

.



This design for the Davol Loft in Chinatown combines two lofts into one, with a pretty spectacular coutyard in the center. The simple forms and materials of the skylights, courtyard, and bathroom modules allow light to penetrate entire space. In my opinion, the courtyard is a particularly great feature. Courtyards are a fairly common feature in Chinatown - I remember a school field trip to Chinatown in middle school, where we visited a school with their playground on the roof - but, this courtyard offers privacy while still allowing the owners to enjoy the outdoors. Oh.. and just as a sidenote - I'd like to point out that once again, a Corbu chaise lounge is in the background of the top photo...
.
.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe