ARE - Mechanical and Electrical Building Systems

February 14, 2008

After my structural exams, I set my mind to studying for the mechanical and electrical building systems test. I was lucky to sneak into the old format, scheduling my test before they changed the format. Although, in all honesty, I'm not sure that the fill in the blanks would have been any more difficult... the only thing you'd be losing out on is the guess factor. Because at least for me, most of the questions that I really struggled with required calculations...
.
Just like with the other multiple choice exams, I used the Kaplan Mechanical & Electrical Systems Book and CD as well as the Archiflash cards as my main study materials. Per many recommendations, I also supplemented the Kaplan with Mechanical and Electrical Equipment for Buildings, 10th Edition by Stein Reynolds and Building Construction Illustrated by Ching. Both were helpful, although MEEB was a bit overwhelming... I much preferred the simple diagrams and drawings in the Ching book, which really helped me to better understand the systems.
.
For me, this was by far the hardest exam and I had wished that I had been better prepared for the subject. There is just so much material to cover, including having a good understanding of green building systems. Studying systems diagrams proved to be more beneficial than anything else, however I still spent most of the exam rereading the questions for clues.
.
I'm afraid that I don't have a lot of good advice for this exam, partly because its been quite a while since I took the test, but also partly because I was so overwhelmed and confused when I took the exam. So the best advice I can give, is to review Ching's systems diagrams and review the green building sections of the MEEB book.

.

Good Luck!

.


.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe