A Blob Overhead

January 20, 2008





In general, I've got pretty mixed opinions about amorphous blog architecture... but something about this project is appealing to me. The labratory of art and ideas at Belmar by Belzberg Architects is an interesting insertion of a blob form into an existing retail space. The penetration of the blob through the glass entry wall, to form a covered entry space is in my opinion particularly well done. In fact, although its kind of reminiscent of someone sticking out their tongue, I still like it... Part of my usual critique of these blob forms is that they often ignore function completely in favor of form. I appreciate that this architecture firm attempted to create a functional design as part of their sophisticated amorphous form.
.
.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe