architecture + water

October 06, 2016

 Ever since my first visit as a student, Japanese architecture has always inspired me through its thoughtful consideration of the relationship between nature and the built environment.  As I was looking through my photos from a recent trip to Japan, I was again struck by the powerful examples of this relationship, most notably with respect to water.  Below are some interesting instances of this harmony between structure and water in Japan that I encountered on my past visits. Feel free to share your own favorite examples in the comments:


Ninomaru Palace and gardens at the Nijo Castle in Kyoto

Benesse House Hotel in Naoshima by Tadao Ando

Yokohama waterfront

Image result for nishizawa teshima art museum
Teshima Art Museum  by Ryue Nishizawa

Naoshima Ferry Terminal by SANAA

Kinkaku-ji Temple in Kyoto

Dotonbori District, Osaka

Yokohama Ferry Terminal by FOA



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe