Vanity Fair - Modern Marvels #9

September 14, 2010


Number 9 on Vanity Fair's Modern Marvels list is probably the first architectural marvel I ever visited. The thing is... I can't remember the first time. In fact, I've seen it so many times I have trouble distinguishing any particular memories.
.
I'm from the east coast and have a history buff for a father, so I've made quite a few visits to DC, all of which included stops to the Vietnam Memorial.
.
One of the most striking aspects of the design is that it doesn't look anything like memorials as we know then. This one requires your engagement. You can't just take a look at a statue and move on... you actually have to walk through and along and experience the wall.
.
I with more memorials engaged the public like this one, instead of simply pandering to our cliched ideas of memorials and patriotism.
.
And what makes it even cooler... Maya Lin completed this competition entry while still in school, beating out (among others) her teacher who gave her a 'B' on the design!
.
.

You Might Also Like

5 comments

Subscribe