I Wish...

November 05, 2009




I wish Illinois Tech had a design build program when I was there...
.
A few of my old professors (and one professor's wife) got together to arrange this design/build project. I think its a great project, a chapel designed in Chicago and built in Germany with the help of local craftsmen.
.
The project started when a Reverend approached Ecker Architekten asking for help in designing a chapel, even though he had no land and no money. Ecker thought of working together with a design team from IIT and so this new design/build studio was born.
.
The project itself is interesting, because the students designed it to be constructed by people with little construction experience (themselves), utilizing salvaged and donated materials, and advanced technology (all pieces were cut on a CNC machine before being shipped to the site).
.
Its a great little chapel... and seems so German to me! I can't imagine coming across this in Seattle...
.
.
.


You Might Also Like

1 comments

Subscribe