Tate Version 2.0

July 20, 2008

When the first images of the Tate addition by Herzog & deMeuron were released, I was extremely disappointed. As I mentioned earlier, I really felt like the design was forced - much unlike most of their projects. This new design, while not perfect really seems like a huge improvement. The press release states 'The revisions have been shaped by a desire to integrate the new building both with the existing building and the local environment.' Its bizarre to think that H&dM didn't give much thought to the local context, after all this is a huge part of architecture... But, I'd like to think that they took the complaints as an opportunity to refine the design, rather than dumb it down. Beyond the refined palette and form, the architects have also provided a more green and energy efficient design.
All in all, I'd say that the design is not perfect, but it is definitely much improved.
.
.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe