Museum of Middle East Modern Art

June 29, 2008



Dutch firm UN Studio has recently designed a building set to house the first Museum of Middle Eastern Modern Art, as well as a host of other activities including housing, commercial, and retails zones. I have to admit, that I'm glad the this building is more than just a museum... when I first saw it, I was having trouble comprehending why a museum with such a narrow focus we need such a huge structure.
.
To be honest, I'm not exactly in love with this building. Sure, its got some nice horizontal banding, consistent with a lot of UN's other work, but the symmetry and scale seem overly formal, which no really connection to the building's surroundings. I realize that much of the Dubai is under construction so there isn't necessarily a great deal of context, but this building seem to ignore the possibility of any interaction. And considering that this new building is being located in Dubai's historic district of Jadaf... I've just got to believe that the architects could have paid more attention to a sense of place. And to top it all off... whenever I look at the images, I just think 'Moby Dick'.
.
Via Yatzer
.
.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe