So Where Is It?

January 22, 2008





This 'Room for Art in Zumikon' is an interesting project by andreas fuhrimann, gabrielle hächler architects (afgh). Designed to appear as a monolithic carving in stone or concrete, the interior and exterior finishes as well as the structure are a seamless extension of one another. The stopped in glass eliminates the need for any materials other than concrete or glass... While the lighting is quite dramatic, I have to wonder where are the art is? If this is a room for art, then why can't I see any? In fact, the only thing I see other than concrete in glass are light switches, which is an unfortunate focal point in one of the photographs. While these images are quite appealing, like with other projects, I wish that I could see the building occupied. After all, without program, what separates architecture from sculpture?
.
.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe