I need a new dentist

November 30, 2007







One of the things that I often find distinguishes European and Asian design from design in the United States, is the respect for the mundane. Almost, if not just as much attention is paid to the design of a refrigerator, phone booth, or in this case a dentist's office, as more glamorous projects. Although, the credit can not be given to the designers alone, as clearly the cultures devote more time and energy to design as an ideal and necessity. Without willing clients, well designed (and often expensive) projects would never be completed.
.
This project (a dentist' office - KU64) by graft lab really amazes me. I can't imagine this kind of progressive design being implemented at my local (or any other US) dentist. While I realize that I'm generalizing... and that not all Berlin dentist offices look like this one, and there very well could be a well designed American dentistry... I'm just always surprised and impressed by other cultures' willingness to create something lovely out of the mundane.
.
I'm not saying that this is a perfect project... I don't really find the color very soothing, and let's face it, who needs anxiety at the dentist. Also, I think that the amorphous forms are a bit overdone... But overall, I think its an interesting design for a seemingly uninteresting program. I'm particularly drawn to the entry hall, and the seating around the fireplace, which provides a very warm environment for a office that would typically be cold and sterile. The graphics also add an interesting touch... I wonder if you can look up at them from your chair?
.
If I lived in Berlin, I'm pretty sure I'd be changing my dentist. Who cares if they might charge a bit more for a cleaning?! They've managed to create a space that I wouldn't dread visiting, which is quite a feat for a dentist (and their architect!).
.
.
.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe